Skip to Content

What kind of doctor should you visit for prolapse treatment?

Choosing a specialist

It can be uncomfortable to talk about symptoms related to your pelvic health, but there are doctors trained to help you through it all.

There are several types of doctor who treat prolapse, but even within each specialty there are those who focus specifically on certain conditions and treatment options. Sometimes, a second opinion – from someone who understands your situation – can make a world of difference.


Urogynecologists are highly specialized – focusing on women’s reproductive and urinary tract systems.

They offer treatments for both pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. Since these conditions are often linked, seeing a urogynecologist may be a good option for you.


Urologists provide care for both men and women (with some specializing on men’s, and other’s just women’s needs) and focus on the urinary tract and urogenital system – the kidneys, bladder and urethra.


Gynecologists specialize in healthcare for women, especially the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the female reproductive organs.

This is a broad specialty, so it is important to ask questions to understand what each gynecologist specializes in.

Make sure you understand prolapse repair procedures

It is essential to understand why your surgeon might recommend a particular treatment for your pelvic organ prolapse repair.

Ask questions during your appointments, get references and ask doctors about their success rates for each procedure you consider. You should feel comfortable with your choice of doctor and your treatment plan. Be your own advocate to find the best fit for you.

Some questions you might consider asking:

  • Why do you think I’m a good candidate for this treatment option?
  • What results have your other patients had with this procedure?
  • What can I expect for recovery?
  • Are there any side effects I should watch for after surgery?

So, what’s the next step?

Surgical options for prolapse

Find a specialist near you